[Automotive] Qt Automotive Suite & Ubuntu

Jereme Lamothe jlamothe at docboxinc.com
Fri Sep 9 23:07:43 CEST 2016

I got side tracked by other work, but wanted to write back to say I've
successfully compiled / run both the Qt application manager and the neptune
ui on Ubuntu Server 14.04. I noticed that a recent change relaxed the dbus
requirements, thank you for that. After compiling + installing Wayland
1.10, Wayland protocols, and libyaml, I was able to build the Qt Wayland
Compositor w/ Qt 5.7. Please note that this requires the latest hardware
enablement stack to be installed (which satisfies an open gl version
requirement).

The compositor, and by extension the application manager, appears happy to
run with an X11 back end ("startx /etc/X11/Xsession" and execute a script
to run the neptune ui). I suspect the more typical use case w/ embedded
hardware / a boot2qt image would have driver support to just run Wayland. I'm
curious if anyone else has run the app manager in this manner (X11
backend)? Are there any known issues or technical concerns proceeding in
this direction if the intent is to deploy on a full-sized Linux distro such
as Ubuntu?