[Automotive] appman community involvement?

Aras Balali Moghaddam arasbm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 21:00:49 CET 2017

Hi there,
I used appman last year to develop a small proof of concept application. I
am trying to evaluate it again now to develop a custom HMI application on a
Linux tablet computer.

It is very nice that the appman project is open source and using that and
the help of the mailing list here I was able to find answers to some of the
challenges in getting up and running with appman. However, I still feel I
am really distant from the development of this project and do not feel
comfortable building my app based on it in case the direction of the
project shifts in an unexpected way or if development on it stops for
whatever reason.

I am wondering if there are ways for me or other community members
interested to be involved in the development of this project. How can I see
the road map, what features are being planned for development, and see what
needs to happen in the short term and long term. Is it possible to open up
that part of your development workflow?

To provide a more practical example, how do I know what is the status of
each branch. If I am using Qt 5.9.X should I be using the dev branch of
qtapplicationmanager or the 5.9 or the 5.10?

That is an example of the kind of questions I have, but I am hoping you can
give me a sense of where this project is at in terms of accepting community
contributions. If you are super busy and don't have time to deal with
"outsiders" that is totally cool too, but knowing that would help me make a
more informed decision about using appman.

Based on my initial experimentation, I think appman is a pretty solid
project and got a well designed architecture, but it is really lacking
developer community which would be absolutely essential for a platform
project like that, I would love to help out even with documentation or
small features or bug fixes, but I really do not know where to start!

Thank you!
Aras