[Automotive] appman community involvement?

Aras Balali Moghaddam arasbm at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 20:45:08 CET 2017

Hi Jeremiah,

Thanks for your response!

> Care to share more?

The proof of concept app I did was a control software to monitor and
control a hydraulic device over CAN bus and I was trying to show how non
critical but useful features such as tutorials, diagnostics information or
reports can be incorporated into the same UI while keeping the core
critical functionality safe. That has not made it out of our lab. I was
inspired to do that when I saw what was achieved with Neptune-UI project
which in my opinion demonstrates very rich user experience is possible on
HMI screens. Were I got stuck is when I had trouble with running the appman
in multiprocess mode to demonstrate that the various functionality were
actually isolated and a violation in tutorials app for example could not
bring down the main UI.

> Application Manager (AppMan) is part of Qt Automotive Suite

Fair enough, but I think the automotive suite is very focused on, well
automotive industry. However as far as I understand, the functionality of
appman goes far beyond the vehicle infotainment system, or at least it has
the potential to. Nothing that I have seen inside appman makes it specific
to automotive industry, but perhaps I have missed something?

I would love to hear back from core developers seeing if they are
interested in community contributions, or in seeing appman used in
industries other than automotive. To me it doesn't feel right using an
opensource project if I can not give back.

Thank you!