[Development] Call for Volunteers: SSO-improvements for qt-project.org

Daniel Molkentin daniel.molkentin at nokia.com
Tue Dec 6 18:57:51 CET 2011

Hello everyone,

to avoid user account fragmentation, we implemented an Single Sign On
(SSO) scheme (almost) from the start that 'works' across all the
important qt-project.org sites we have so far:

- codereview.qt-project.org (Gerrit)
- wiki.qt-project.org (MediaWiki)
- bugreports.qt.nokia.com (Jira, which is going to move to
qt-project.org eventually)

The SSO scheme is based on Atlassian Crowd, a SSO solution that offers
connectors for a lot of web applications. Unfortunately, there are no
working connectors for either MediaWiki nor Gerrit. Obviously, Jira
works just fine. However, Codereview requires a login, and while the
login is optional for the wiki (https only, http allows read-only
access), it's confusing. The details are outlined in
https://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTWEBSITE-326.

The reason is that we needed to fall back to the Crowd module for
Apache, which means no way to log out and copy&pasting of links that
work for everyone becomes difficult.

An obvious solution is to write Crowd authenticators for the two
applications, so it doesn't need to happen on the web server level. For
MediaWiki, somebody already wrote a plugin, which unfortunately is
broken (for references, see the bug report above). While the Qt project
has a lot of fine C++ developers, there are few people with the skills
it takes to develop such connectors (PHP and Java respectively). To make
sure this issue doesn't sit in the bug tracker forever, I hereby call
for people interested in helping out. We can provide a development and
testing environment and help out with (almost) any question you might have.

Cheers,
   Daniel

--
Daniel Molkentin, Software Engineer,
Nokia, Qt Development Frameworks

Nokia gate5 GmbH
Firmensitz: Invalidenstr. 117, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, Berlin: HRB 106443 B
Umsatzsteueridentifikationsnummer: DE 812 845 193
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Halbherr, Karim Tähtivuori