[Development] Missing ARM, MIPS, other mkspecs in qt5

Rohan McGovern rohan.mcgovern at nokia.com
Wed Dec 7 08:15:31 CET 2011

Thiago Macieira said:
> On Wednesday, 30 de November de 2011 15.47.00, Rohan McGovern wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > In Qt5, we no longer appear to have any mkspecs for cross-compiling for
> > ARM or MIPS.  They were tied up with qws, so they were removed when
> > qws was removed.
> >
> > Is it intentional that we still don't have any, or has it just fallen
> > out that way and we're free to add some generic ARM, MIPS mkspecs for
> > testing purposes?
>
> mkspecs for cross-compilation are ill-suited, because the compiler name
> changes a lot. A better solution would be to make those configure-time options
> and simply use the standard mkspec for the platform.
>
> I guess that until such time as a proper build system is in place for Qt,
> we'll have to make do though.

A linux-arm-gnueabi-g++ mkspec was added, which is identical to a linux-g++
mkspec except for the compiler commands.

The next issue we hit in testing is that a standalone cross-compiler
does not provide any GL API, which is nowadays required to compile Qt.
We did not want to use some vendor-specific GL (or couldn't due to
licensing), so we're now using a cross-compiled mesa (packaged at
https://launchpad.net/~rohanpm/+archive/qtqa-cross ).