[Development] Which wiki tool (was Re: Call for Volunteers: SSO-improvements for qt-project.org)

Quim Gil quim.gil at nokia.com
Wed Dec 7 20:45:23 CET 2011

Disclaimer: I'm a happy MediaWiki editor and admin but I haven't been
involved in the decision to have a MediaWiki here and I have gone
through too many wiki engine discussion in my life. I'll take whatever
is decided to be the best hoping to have a quick & final decision now
that we still have a small amount of wiki content and links to it.

Some feedback, slightly related:

- User profiles
Single sign-on is indeed nice, but in an open project is even nicer to
have user profiles the own users can edit and everybody can see, showing
who is who in that project. All the better if admins / tools can add
information automatically e.g. links to my bug reports, my pages edited,
permissions granted... Now we have MediaWiki profiles manually editable,
and I have no idea whether those JIRA accounts could generate sensible
profile pages.

- Categories or tags
Pssst! I have this secret plan of crowdsourcing the world atlas of the
Qt community by using categories / tags in user profiles, wiki pages of
organizations and events, perhaps even tags in news. MediaWiki could
solve the wiki part with the use of categories for cities & countries,
just like Wikipedia does.

- Calendars
We need them, as explained at
http://wiki.qt-project.org/Events#Looking_for_the_right_calendar_tool .
Listing events manually in a wiki page is not good. There seems to be a
MediaWiki extension but it's unclear how far it can go. There was an
idea for just using Google Calendar. I wonder if these Atlassian team
calendars would do the trick.

--
Quim