[Development] Which wiki tool (was Re: Call for Volunteers: SSO-improvements for qt-project.org)

Jeff Mitchell qt at jefferai.org
Wed Dec 7 21:00:50 CET 2011

On 12/7/2011 2:45 PM, Quim Gil wrote:
> - User profiles
> Single sign-on is indeed nice, but in an open project is even nicer to
> have user profiles the own users can edit and everybody can see, showing
> who is who in that project. All the better if admins / tools can add
> information automatically e.g. links to my bug reports, my pages edited,
> permissions granted... Now we have MediaWiki profiles manually editable,
> and I have no idea whether those JIRA accounts could generate sensible
> profile pages.

Crowd will automatically fill some things into Confluence, but users can
also edit their own information. Also, users can have their own personal
spaces showing all sorts of information, see for example

http://blogs.atlassian.com/confluence/2009/09/21/personal_space.png (a
very old screenshot of personal spaces from when they first went in).

Not sure if you can modify it to show things like permissions granted,
but I doubt it's impossible...Confluence is pretty customizable.

> - Categories or tags
> Pssst! I have this secret plan of crowdsourcing the world atlas of the
> Qt community by using categories / tags in user profiles, wiki pages of
> organizations and events, perhaps even tags in news. MediaWiki could
> solve the wiki part with the use of categories for cities & countries,
> just like Wikipedia does.

These are integrated throughout Confluence by default. (Called
"Labels".) These are then accessed via plugins or macros, so you can see
e.g. a cloud of all labels, or a cloud of labels in one particular space.

> - Calendars
> We need them, as explained at
> http://wiki.qt-project.org/Events#Looking_for_the_right_calendar_tool .
> Listing events manually in a wiki page is not good. There seems to be a
> MediaWiki extension but it's unclear how far it can go. There was an
> idea for just using Google Calendar. I wonder if these Atlassian team
> calendars would do the trick.

I've been using Team Calendars at work. It started out without a lot of
functionality, but has been maturing quite rapidly. They now have
permissions support; they're working on adding support for
invitations/meeting requests, and (I think, and I hope) for adding
support for CalDAV so you can natively integrate in e.g. Lightning or
iCal. (They do have .ics file support currently.)

You can also hook this up with JIRA to get automatically populated
calendars based on JIRA issues and (I think) versions/milestones.

--Jeff