[Development] Source incompatible proposal: removing Qt::WA_ values for widget orientation

Robin Burchell robin+qt at viroteck.net
Tue Dec 13 19:04:18 CET 2011

Hi,

I'd like to propose a source-incompatible change for Qt 5: the removal
of Qt::WA_*Orientation.

The justification for this source-incompatible change is that (as far
as I'm aware) the API has never really worked anywhere except Symbian
(indeed, I only see code for S60 in the brief look I took now), even
Maemo5 took a slightly different route with QWidget orientation
(http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qt-maemo/maemo5-rotation.html) - and my
understanding is that QWidget is not the platform of choice for mobile
platforms now, so I don't expect this to work in the future either.

This not working universally has caused a lot of confusion in the
past, for the latest example that caused me to write this mail, refer
to: http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/meego-dev/2011-December/484371.html

The affected enum values are:

Qt::WA_LockPortraitOrientation
Qt::WA_LockLandscapeOrientation