[Development] Source incompatible proposal: removing Qt::WA_ values for widget orientation

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Wed Dec 14 09:25:48 CET 2011

On Tuesday 13 December 2011 19.04.18 Robin Burchell wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to propose a source-incompatible change for Qt 5: the removalof
> Qt::WA_*Orientation.
> The justification for this source-incompatible change is that (as faras I'm
> aware) the API has never really worked anywhere except Symbian(indeed, I
> only see code for S60 in the brief look I took now), evenMaemo5 took a
> slightly different route with QWidget orientation(http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qt
> -maemo/maemo5-rotation.html) - and myunderstanding is that QWidget is not
> the platform of choice for mobileplatforms now, so I don't expect this to
> work in the future either.
> This not working universally has caused a lot of confusion in thepast, for
> the latest example that caused me to write this mail, referto:
> http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/meego-dev/2011-December/484371.html
> The affected enum values are:
> Qt::WA_LockPortraitOrientation
> Qt::WA_LockLandscapeOrientation
> Qt::WA_AutoOrientation

If no tier one platforms are using it, I can understand your request, but at
the same time we are not removing symbian features, are we?
The thing that caught my attention is your statement that no tier-one
platforms implement it. At minimum we should have a bugreport for that, since
as far as I can see such support is pretty essential for good UIs.  Especially
for those that don't believe in QML, but want to use graphicsview. (like me)
Unless I'm missing something and QGraphicsView can already easilly be auto-
rotated on device rotation.

Sorry, more questions than answers...
--
Thomas Zander