[Development] Qt Playground - 3D Audio module

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Tue Dec 13 23:53:06 CET 2011

Hi,

I would like to work on a 3D Audio module in Qt Playground [1] that might be
beneficial later for projects, like Qt3D, game engines, development platforms,
or games without a platform underneath. Surprisingly enough, certain media
players also prefer using 3D audio and OpenAL in general for their goals.

The module name would be either QtOpenAL or 3D Audio. Either one works for me.

The short description would be something like: "This module offers classes that
make it easy to use OpenAL in Qt applications". It currently also deals with
convenient and more common tasks, like decoding from various compressed formats
into raw PCM data. There are no license problems about using openal-soft [2],
and one of main purposes is to be cross-platform, apart from Symbian at the
momment (tested on Harmattan as well). A lot of projects, including Qt based
game development projects, use "alure" currently which is a convenient wrapper
around OpenAL, but not Qt based. Also, according to the author, it has some
design issues as well.

The project is currently hosted here:
https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/multimedia/qtopenal

It is currently cmake based because I have more experience with that build
system, and I am happy with it. I also like the services provided by CDash
and CTest. I do not have any plans to change it in the near future. The
documentation is entirely missing, but will be amended as soon as possible.

Feedback is king! :) Thank you for your consideration!

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp

[1] https://wiki.qt-project.org/Creating_a_new_module_or_tool_for_Qt
[2] http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html