[Development] Qt Playground - 3D Audio module

michael.goddard at nokia.com michael.goddard at nokia.com
Fri Dec 16 02:19:35 CET 2011

Hello,

On 14/12/11 8:53 AM, "ext Laszlo Papp" <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:

>I would like to work on a 3D Audio module in Qt Playground [1] that might
>be
>beneficial later for projects, like Qt3D, game engines, development
>platforms,
>or games without a platform underneath. Surprisingly enough, certain media
>players also prefer using 3D audio and OpenAL in general for their goals.

Sounds good ("Approved" :).  We're also interested in making use of OpenAL
in QtMultimedia* so it sounds like a good way to start.

>The module name would be either QtOpenAL or 3D Audio. Either one works
>for me.

I'd prefer QtOpenAL because there are other 3D audio systems (if less
popular), but there may be a trademark issue.  I've asked Cristy about
this and I'll send another email.  It is probably necessary to delay the
playground initiation until after that.

>The short description would be something like: "This module offers
>classes that
>make it easy to use OpenAL in Qt applications". It currently also deals
>with
>convenient and more common tasks, like decoding from various compressed
>formats
>into raw PCM data. There are no license problems about using openal-soft
>[2],

This part is also something we've been looking at doing in QtMultimedia
(e.g. QMediaPlayer -> raw PCM, or via other classes).  Currently we use
whatever platform media framework we have to decode audio which might
result in differences between platforms though.  It would be nice to share
some of that code someway or another.

Cheers,
MichaelG