[Development] Source incompatible proposal: removing Qt::WA_ values for widget orientation

Jason Barron jason.barron at nokia.com
Wed Dec 14 13:00:57 CET 2011

Hi,

On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 09:34 +0100, ext Robin Burchell wrote:
> I'd sort of agree to leave it at a bug report, except that it hasn't
> been done for a very long time already. With that in mind, plus
> widgets not even having a maintainer at the moment, let alone many
> contributors, plus that it's definitely not going to be trivial to
> implement in any cross-platform way (while remaining performant) that
> I know of, I don't see it happening - hence the mail
>
> This of course doesn't block someone adding this functionality back
> should they come up with a way to do this that is acceptable ends up
> maintaining that code, but I don't think it's good that we continue to
> advertise functionality  that basically doesn't work everywhere - so
> either that needs to happen before Qt 5, or this needs to go away IMO.

Another option would be to try to map those "legacy" enums to the new
equivalent in Qt 5 for the sake of compatibility:

http://doc.qt.nokia.com/5.0-snapshot/qwindow.html#orientation-prop

Given that those attributes really only worked on Symbian anyway, I'm
not sure it's worth it though.

Regards,
Jason