[Development] Spelling of module names in documentation

henry.haverinen at nokia.com henry.haverinen at nokia.com
Wed Dec 14 16:07:57 CET 2011

Hi Thomas,

> names like 'xml' are no longer abbreviations, they are product names. Not
> just something that Qt made up, but industry wide known product names.
>
> As such they should have only one capital.

I believe the common practice is to spell these terms as acronyms:

XML is a W3C standard, and they spell it with all capitals: http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/

MIME is an IETF standard, and they also spell it MIME, not Mime.

All the top Google hits for "sql" (Google is not case sensitive) spell it "SQL" rather than "Sql".

> I think it would be confusing to change the docs while all places where we
> follow this rule in the code will not change.

If you Google for "qt xml" site:doc.qt.nokia.com, you can find several examples of "the Qt XML module" in our documentation already...

Best regards,
Henry