[Development] Dropping iWMMXt?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Dec 30 22:18:19 CET 2011

The only changes done to the file in the past almost 3 years are the license
header updates and one overall change done to all draw helpers. Even the MMX
helpers had two more changes in the period (one might be considered non-
trivial).

iWMMXt is present on Intel XScale PXA27x processors, which are ARMv5TE. This
line of processors is still being sold by Marvell. Both that one[1] and the
PXA320[2] still have iWMMXt. Also, it appears that recent Marvell ARMv7 chips,
like the Armada (a.k.a. "Dove")[3], also have the technology, though I am not
sure if the technologies branded as WMMX and WMMX2 are compatible.

I would guess that the technology is still relevant. That's not the point
then.

The question is: does anyone feel like maintaining this? If no one feels
responsible, we may as well drop it. It can always be brought back later if
necessary.

Until there's a conclusion, I will touch the iWMMXt code.

FYI, it appears that not even Debian supports it.

[1] http://www.marvell.com//application-processors/pxa-
family/assets/pxa_27x_emts.pdf
[2] http://www.marvell.com//application-processors/pxa-
family/assets/PXA320_PB_R4.pdf
[3] http://www.marvell.com/application-
processors/armada-600/assets/armada610_pb.pdf