[Development] [Qt5-feedback] 3rdpart platform plugins, tests and CI

lars.knoll at nokia.com lars.knoll at nokia.com
Thu Nov 3 19:06:28 CET 2011

On 11/2/11 11:32 AM, "ext Holger Hans Peter Freyther" <holger at freyther.de>
wrote:

>On 11/02/2011 03:15 AM, Alan Alpert wrote:
>
>> Until the first release of Qt 5 though I don't see anyway to avoid
>> QtDeclarative needing a 'sufficiently' recent QtBase. sync.profile
>>implements
>> providing that knowledge, although we currently prefer to just always
>>build
>> against master. Modularization is so far more about hope for the future
>>than
>> about concrete changes now. You'll have to be patient and wait for that
>>future
>> to arrive.
>
>In QtWebKit the maintainer of the Qt5 buildbot (part of the WebKit CI
>infrastructure) will upgrade QtBase/Declarative every friday. This means
>for
>one week you have to live with that working copy.
>
>Whenever something changes in declarative how often does this require a
>direct
>change in QtBase? Did this get less recently?
>
>My wish would be to follow the QtWebKit model and attempt to achieve less
>dependencies on changes between QtBase and XYZ. To ease the weekly
>transition
>of the base libraries one could have a nightly build of all of Qt (to
>avoid
>having people fix big breakage during the weekend).
>

>Reasoning: If you think of a small module that depends on something big
>(let's
>say XML Pattern and WebKit), I think one does not want to wait for the
>build
>of QtWebKit and XML Patterns to verify that the tiny change in JavaScript
>of a
>.qml file is not causing regressions.

Yes, I agree that it'd be nice to avoid the recompile in that case.
However, this is the best way to be really certain your module works
against whatever it depends upon. It's not a huge issue on a decent
machine, at least if the dependent modules only compile the libraries and
don't run the tests as well (that is unless you're webkit or depend on
webkitŠ)

I can currently compile the libs in qtbase, xmlpatterns and declarative
within around 40min on my laptop. It should be significantly faster on a
quad core desktop. That's for the moment decent enough for the CI system.

Anything where you stick to an older version for a while for testing will
also have the added complexity that someone needs to maintain the sha1
list for all dependencies.

Cheers,
Lars