[Development] [Qt5-feedback] 3rdpart platform plugins, tests and CI

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger at freyther.de
Tue Nov 22 18:18:25 CET 2011

On 11/03/2011 07:06 PM, lars.knoll at nokia.com wrote:

> Yes, I agree that it'd be nice to avoid the recompile in that case.
> However, this is the best way to be really certain your module works
> against whatever it depends upon. It's not a huge issue on a decent
> machine, at least if the dependent modules only compile the libraries and
> don't run the tests as well (that is unless you're webkit or depend on
> webkitŠ)

Hi,

I accept the current status I just want to give some feedback after today’s
journey. Maybe we can learn something from that.

I am currently working on running Qt5 with the DirectFB plugin on MIPS. This
means that I will compile on a fast machine, want to do make INSTALLROOT=/nfs
install and then run it on my target machine. This has worked for qtbase
itself but is failing miserably when I extended this to qtdeclarative.

Install:
make INSTALLROOT=tmp install is used by Distributions to build packages,
developers for deploying for a target. I hope we agree that this is a common
usecase. To me it appears that because we have the testscript that creates one
big source directory we don't test make install until we are before a release.
I would encourage to include make install in the test (don't mind building
everything, but also test deploying and testing the result of the deployment).
See below for some details.

My argument here is: Do we compile Qt to develop Qt, or do we build Qt as a
tool so it can be used by others? (and yes for desktop builds I compile with
-prefix $PWD in the builddir, i agree it is nice).

cheers
  holger

promised details:
Testing with Install:
In the Osmocom project (a lot of less code than Qt) I setup jenkins and inside
the build tree I do roughly the following:
	mkdir deps
	cd deps
	export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PWD/install/lib/pkgconfig
	export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PWD/install/lib
	fetch-update libosmocore
	build-install libosmocore --prefix=$PWD/install
	fetch-update libosmo-abis
	build-install libosmo-abis --prefix=$PWD/install
	fetch-update libosmo-sccp
	build-install libosmo-sccp --prefix=$PWD/install
	cd ..
	normal-build

[1]
http://jenkins.osmocom.org/jenkins/job/OpenBSC/34/label=linux_i386_debian_squeeze/consoleFull