[Development] Platform / compiler support

João Abecasis joao.abecasis at nokia.com
Mon Nov 7 18:12:43 CET 2011

Joerg Bornemann wrote:
> On 07/11/11 17:36, ext Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> The list I had on IRC was similar to yours above, but it called for MSVC 2005.
>> And the reason why was to try and get 90% to 99% of the current users of Qt.
>> But I wasn't calling for supporting them, it was just the beginning of the
>> discussion.
>
> There's not much that happened for the C++ compiler between MSVC 2005
> and MSVC 2008, see [1]. So I don't think that we're running into
> problems supporting 2005.
>
> Instead of looking at the compiler, maybe we should agree on a minimum
> version of the Windows SDK which implicitely defines a minimum version
> of the MSVC compiler?

According to this page,

    http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7/supported-platforms.html

, VS 2008 is what we tested Qt 4.7 with on Windows 7 and Vista 64-bit. That page also mentions Tier 2 support for VS 2010. VS 2005 is mentioned for Windows Vista (32-bit, I presume).

Anyway, in suggesting VS 2008 I was trying to remain relatively current without going "bleeding edge" with VS 2010. I'm ok with VS 2005.

> [1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Bb384632(v=VS.90).aspx

Cheers,

João