[Development] Platform / compiler support

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Nov 9 10:10:36 CET 2011

On Wednesday, 9 de November de 2011 09:21:20 Turunen Tuukka wrote:
> VS2005
> VS2008
> VS2010
> MinGW 4.4
> Gcc 4.2 - 4.4
> Xcode 4
> Sun Studio 12 (CC 5.9)
> Sun Studio 12.2 (CC 5.11)
> Integrity Multi IDE 6
> xLC 7
> aCC 6.10
>
> For us, if Qt 5 works with these, as well as new versions is a good
> starting point. Making sure that Qt 5 works with latest compilers such as
> VS2011 is important, as they typically provide significant advantages over
> the previous version.
>
> It would be good to have more compilers supported, especially for the
> embedded platforms. And definitely it is very important that as few as
> possible compilers are ruled our by design choices in Qt.

Hello Tuukka

Thanks for posting, this is important to us.

The first compilers on the list above are already taken into account and should
be no problem. XCode 4 isn't a compiler, it's just an IDE using either gcc or
clang, which we've already discussed.

As for the rest, they are compilers most developers do not have access to. It
will be very hard for the community to support, so my recommendation to Digia,
if permitted by the licenses you acquired there, is to provide a server for
the community to log in and attempt compilation (on request, it doesn't have
to be all the time).

Still, for those platforms above, I recommend upgrading to the latest
compilers and discarding the very old ones. For example, discard Sun CC 5.9
and use 5.11 only; discard xLC 7 and upgrade to xLC 10.

But you're the one with the customers, so we need to know from you what your
customers are likely to really need. We'd like to know your team's opinion for
a 2012-2014 timeframe, not word-for-word what the customers say (they'll ask
to support exactly what they already have).

And we'll need some help to map out the features of those compilers.

Remember: this exercise is to map out what features we can use everywhere and
which ones could have an impact on existing or future support for a given
compiler.