[Development] Gerrit - How to search changes?

marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com
Wed Nov 16 16:54:54 CET 2011

On 11/4/11 10:53 AM, "ext Oswald Buddenhagen"
<oswald.buddenhagen at nokia.com> wrote:

>On 11/04/11 14:29, ext Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
>> I want to use file:*directfb*, but according to this[1] I will need to
>>watch
>> the project,
>correct. the search function generally sucks.
>
>> so I started to watch qt/qtbase with a file:\*directfb\* glob but
>this won't work. this must be a regexp, not a glob. e.g., i have:
>   qt-creator/qt-creator
>     file:"^src/(shared/proparser|plugins/(debugger|qt4projectmanager))"
>
>> I don't know how to view the result of this search/watch.
>you don't. you need to enable notifications for "new changes" on these
>watches.
>
>> how to search for files?
>you don't. yes, this sucks.

The problem is that this data is not stored in the DB, only in the git
repo itself. So, the effort to match gerrit commits to files is a lot more
resource intensive than search on all the other meta-data. This will most
likely not change. The watch works differently, since it applies the
regexps on each individual commit when they arrive. Then there's no need
to look elsewhere for that extra information.

Yes, it sucks; but afaik it's unlikely to change.

--
.marius