[Development] [Qt5-feedback] 3rdpart platform plugins, tests and CI

Rohan McGovern rohan.mcgovern at nokia.com
Wed Nov 23 00:31:32 CET 2011

Holger Hans Peter Freyther said:
> On 11/03/2011 07:06 PM, lars.knoll at nokia.com wrote:
>
> > Yes, I agree that it'd be nice to avoid the recompile in that case.
> > However, this is the best way to be really certain your module works
> > against whatever it depends upon. It's not a huge issue on a decent
> > machine, at least if the dependent modules only compile the libraries and
> > don't run the tests as well (that is unless you're webkit or depend on
> > webkitŠ)
>
> Hi,
>
> I accept the current status I just want to give some feedback after today’s
> journey. Maybe we can learn something from that.
>
> I am currently working on running Qt5 with the DirectFB plugin on MIPS. This
> means that I will compile on a fast machine, want to do make INSTALLROOT=/nfs
> install and then run it on my target machine. This has worked for qtbase
> itself but is failing miserably when I extended this to qtdeclarative.
>
> Install:
> make INSTALLROOT=tmp install is used by Distributions to build packages,
> developers for deploying for a target. I hope we agree that this is a common
> usecase. To me it appears that because we have the testscript that creates one
> big source directory we don't test make install until we are before a release.
> I would encourage to include make install in the test (don't mind building
> everything, but also test deploying and testing the result of the deployment).
> See below for some details.

In fact deployment for this configuration (shadow build and make
install) is already underway.  It is in place and working for qtbase
already; for modules building on top of qtbase, bugs like
http://codereview.qt-project.org/9466 were uncovered and need to be fixed
first, and a bit of tweaking to the test script seems necessary.  But I
think we are talking somewhere between days and a couple of weeks before a
basic test for this is in place for all the modules.

This basic test at first is merely along the lines of `make install
gives a 0 exit code', but eventually we'd do some "testing the result of
the deployment" too.