[Development] Rebasing a contribution

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Nov 23 19:07:17 CET 2011

Hello

Here's a recommendation for submitting rebased changes to Gerrit, coming from
someone who likes to compare different versions of a submission.

When you rebase, submit the rebase *only*. Do not change anything in your
contribution. Then add a comment saying you rebased, so that a reviewer will
know that nothing has changed. Any diffs seen from revision to revision are
caused then by changes that happened in the repository, not the contribution.

If you must rebase in order to make a change, do it in TWO steps. First rebase
and leave a comment, like I said above. Then make your change and submit
again.

So, if I have reviewed your patch #6 in the contribution and you need to
rebase in order to modify something, then rebase, push #7, leave a comment
saying it was a rebase, modify and submit #8. That way, I can compare #7 to #8
and note that you made the change I requested.

If you don't do that, when I look at the patch-to-patch diff, I'll see changes
that may not be related.