[Development] Rebasing a contribution

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at nokia.com
Wed Nov 23 21:33:14 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 07:07:17PM +0100, ext Thiago Macieira wrote:
> So, if I have reviewed your patch #6 in the contribution and you need to
> rebase in order to modify something, then rebase, push #7, leave a comment
> saying it was a rebase, modify and submit #8. That way, I can compare #7 to #8
> and note that you made the change I requested.

my guess is that most of the time the pull --rebase is the *last* thing
people do, because that's what they always have done before pushing.
consequently, the right fix would be git reset --hard to the pre-rebase
version from the reflog if the rebase is empty. except that nobody will
do it. however, i have a todo item to write a git-gpush script which
does just that automatically in the background.
more interesting is the question what to do with non-empty rebases.

fwiw, http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=217