[Development] Commentable doc hosting

sarah.j.smith at nokia.com sarah.j.smith at nokia.com
Wed Nov 30 18:57:02 CET 2011

Hi

During the contributors summit at Dev Days in San Fran doc was discussed - in few different contexts, including getting folks to contribute to it.

What about the approach used by some projects of having the canonically hosted documentation provide for a forum post style comment feature down the bottom of each page of documentation?

Here's an example of what I mean: http://www.php.net/manual/en/control-structures.foreach.php … scroll down to see the "User Contributed Notes".

Obviously the great preference would be for folks to supply doc bug reports or patches for problems they see.  But this has a low barrier to entry for user contributions, and the possibility for developers on the relevant API's to subscribe to the rss feed to pick up contributions and add them is always there.  Monitoring via rss should also mean spammy posts can be removed if needed too.

Kevin I guess we already must have some sort of server side stuff over just static web pages in order for the javascript based doc search to work.  Is something like this feasible with the resources/infrastructure available?

Thoughts?

Sarah Smith
Senior Engineer Team Lead Qt3D
Nokia Qt Development Frameworks