[Development] Crazy Idea

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Sat Oct 22 16:34:15 CEST 2011

Hi,

IMHO a proper implementation needs to be a QPA platform.

Widgets need to be "drawn" in this "web" target, like in X11, Wayland,
Windows, etc. The only change would be the low level primitives are HTML +
CSS + JavaScript + SVG (and maybe even images), like Wt does.

Trivia: the first version of Wt used Qt instead as the backend. They moved
to Boost because of licensing (Qt was not LGPL back then) and threading.

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 10:55 AM, <lars.knoll at nokia.com> wrote:

> >From my point of view:
>
> Having something here would be great. I don't think it should be part of
> the essential Qt modules, but as an add-on it would be a very welcome
> addition :)
>
> Cheers,
> Lars
>
> On 10/22/11 7:09 AM, "ext Mark Constable" <markc at renta.net> wrote:
>
> >On 2011-10-21 10:10 PM, Dhaivat Pandya wrote:
> >> This seems like something that's way out there, and may have been
> >> suggested before and rejected, but, I'm bringing it up anyway. What
> >> would the Qt community think of a web framework devised around Qt?
> >
> >Speaking personally I'd love to see...
> >
> >. a web server similar to lighttpd but 100% based on Qt
> >
> >. a Qt5/V8 Javascript "engine" similar to NodeJS
> >
> >. an optional but builtin C++ FastCGI interface for the above
> >
> >In other words the essential tools for a Qt Server Side JavaScript
> >solution, with Websocket support, so it can be as both a traditional
> >webserver or a local backend to a HTML5/QML desktop system.
> >
> >Why another webserver when lighttpd, nginx, even apache, already exist
> >as stable codebases? Because none of them allow me to build, develop
> >and deploy them, and any web based projects, within QtCreator using
> >CMake and Git. There is currently a complete development disconnect
> >when deploying a typical HTTP based remote server within a Qt project.
> >
> >> Qt has all the stuff one needs to build a legitimate web framework,
> >> connection to a scripting language (PySide, or any language with a C++
> >> API, such as Lua), Sql libraries, async socket libraries, XML,
> >> everything. We just need some (okay, not some, a lot) of code to glue
> >> this all together into a well knit package. I'll await suggestions.
> >
> >Wouldn't Wt provide a lot of that? http://www.webtoolkit.eu/wt

Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org