[Development] Crazy Idea

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Sat Oct 22 18:16:11 CEST 2011

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Dhaivat Pandya <dhaivatpandya at gmail.com>wrote:

> Okay, so, people do want this to happen. So, the first things we should
> decide would be what features/ideas one would need. I say:
>
> Now, IMHO, if we do make it a QPA by just changing the backend, that would
> be exactly like Wt.

Which is exactly what I'd like to see.

I'm not asking for a web framework/library based on Qt, but for a new target
for Qt: instead of compiling for Windows, Linux, Symbian or MeeGo, I would
choose "cross-compile for web". The end result would be a FastCGI module, or
a single executable which embeds its own web server (exactly like in Qt).

Emweb has put a lot of thought into Wt, really.

Also, even though desktop apps have been written like this for a very long
> time, webapps (again, IMHO) are better arranged as MVC.
>
> 1) Templates
> 2) MVC properly done
> 3) Some type of scaffolding script
> 4) The core needs to be extremely fast and async
> 5) Database requests are shifted off to another thread, etc. This is not
> possible (well, it is, but, not very useful) in languages such as Python,
> PHP, Ruby since they all use green threading, which works, but, isn't quite
> as fast.
> 6) Crash support, if something crashes, don't give a crazy error to the
> user, figure out where it crashed, write to logs, and the web developer uses
> an error page. Figuring out where it crashed is mostly where the work is
> done.
> 7) Qt libraries are used as much as possible
> 8) (this one needs community support to happen) Relation to scripting
> languages, such as Javascript, Lua, etc.
>
> What do you think?

I think there have been several projects trying that:

Creole ( http://blogs.kde.org/node/3707 )
QtWui ( http://qtwui.sourceforge.net/ )

I want write once, compile everywhere. Even if that means having three
"different" UIs (desktop, mobile, web), it would be a wonderful feature. See
Gtk+ HTML5 backend.

2011/10/22 Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles at elpauer.org>

>> Hi,
>>
>> IMHO a proper implementation needs to be a QPA platform.
>>
>> Widgets need to be "drawn" in this "web" target, like in X11, Wayland,
>> Windows, etc. The only change would be the low level primitives are HTML +
>> CSS + JavaScript + SVG (and maybe even images), like Wt does.
>>
>> Trivia: the first version of Wt used Qt instead as the backend. They moved
>> to Boost because of licensing (Qt was not LGPL back then) and threading.

>>> Having something here would be great. I don't think it should be part of
>>> the essential Qt modules, but as an add-on it would be a very welcome
>>> addition :)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Lars

>> --
>> Pau Garcia i Quiles
>> http://www.elpauer.org
>> (Due to my workload, I may need 10 days to answer)

Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org