[Development] V8's location

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Oct 24 14:15:38 CEST 2011

On Monday, 24 de October de 2011 10.11.00, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> > Can we move V8 out of qtbase and into a top-level module? I've done that
> > mistake above several times. The fact that V8 is inside qtbase means I
> > cannot do a git commit -a, despite the submodule ignore command.
> >
> > Also, can we move it to Gitorious and enable Gerrit for it? I have a patch
> > to make it compile with ICC and I'd rather not have to create a github
> > account just for this.
>
> Isn't the right solution then to get your patch either upstream or into the
> Qt copy?

Yes and no. Yes, I should get my fixes into the Qt copy (at least). But it's
not a full solution since very often I have pending changes or in-progress
development that I committed.

To put it bluntly: git submodules should not be used in an active repository.

> I'm not sure if putting v8 into gerrit helps much, because things like
> rebasing are much harder with Gerrit. In a strange sense we want to make it
> difficult to modify our fork of V8 :)

You can give push-to-branch rights in Gerrit, which allows rebasing.

> That said, does your employer allow you to contribute the patch upstream?

To Qt, it's in progress and should happen soon. To V8, definitely not for me.

If the repository is not moved to Gerrit, which is fine, I'll probably just
publish my changes in Gitorious and expect V8's maintainer to merge them on
their own.

But please move the submodule to qt5.git.