[Development] [Qt5-feedback] 3rdpart platform plugins, tests and CI

Rohan McGovern rohan.mcgovern at nokia.com
Mon Oct 31 11:05:00 CET 2011

Holger Hans Peter Freyther said:
> On 10/24/2011 04:21 PM, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
> > On 10/24/2011 04:01 AM, Rohan McGovern wrote:
>
> Hi again,
>
> the response I am responding to ended up in moderation, I am now properly
> subscribed (in contrast of using gmane.org). Just to recap, I have not
> asked/intended to just switch off pulse and not work until a new public system
> is in place. The problem for me is, I don't know how pulse works, so building
> a 'compatible' system is difficult.
>
> I went ahead and setup a public jenkins on a shiny new server at hetzner,
> right now it is just tracking changes for Qtbase[1] (ipv4/ipv6), Jenkins has
> some Gerrit integration out-of-the-box but I am not sure how it relates to
> what you have with pulse.
>
> I am not sure which config you have with Pulse. In Jenkins there is the
> concept of a 'Job' (e.g. build a project in a specific config), what I am not
> sure how to configure is to have the same Job be executed for (ARM, MIPS, X86,
> AMD64..). How is this done with Pulse? Is there a single 'Job' or one job for
> each target platform?

It sounds like the Jenkins concept of "job" and the Pulse concept of
"stage" are similar.  If so, this means that you should almost be
able to use the qtqa/testconfig.git repo out of the box to issue the
build commands.

For example, setting up a "job" which runs

  git clone git://gitorious.org/qtqa/testconfig.git _testconfig
  _testconfig/test.pl --project "QtBase master Integration" \
    --stage "linux-g++-32 Ubuntu 10.04 x86"

...may already work, or be close enough to working that it gives some
valuable hints.

I believe Sergio may already have experimented with using the above
scripts in a Jenkins setup.  sahumada on IRC, if you need to contact
someone who understands those scripts and is likely to be awake during
Europe hours :)

> Is the EWS provided by the Pulse system as well?

No, Pulse isn't really well suited for this.  My guess is that Jenkins
also wouldn't be. http://wiki.qt-project.org/Early_Warning_System
links to the EWS "sanity bot" script, Oswald could provide details on
how it is run.

> My goal for this week is to at least have one build node connected to the
> system to build Qt, maybe track gerrit and to understand what the GAP between
> Pulse and Jenkins is. I am happy to give you admin privileges to the jenkins
> installation (you need to create the account first) and ssh to the jail that
> hosts jenkins.

That could be helpful, if only because it seems I mightn't be able to see
the Jenkins config without these rights :)

> PS:
>
> >> There is some documentation at http://wiki.qt-project.org/index.php/Public_Autotest_Infrastructure
> >> which should be expanded.
>
> this redirects to the mainpage

The wiki software seems to have been changed since I wrote the email.
http://wiki.qt-project.org/Public_Autotest_Infrastructure is now the
correct link.