[Development] [Releasing] Qt 5.0 alpha released

simo.falt at nokia.com simo.falt at nokia.com
Fri Apr 6 08:01:47 CEST 2012

From: development-bounces+simo.falt=nokia.com at qt-project.org [development-bounces+simo.falt=nokia.com at qt-project.org] on behalf of ext Thiago Macieira [thiago.macieira at intel.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2012 5:49 PM
To: development at qt-project.org
Subject: Re: [Development] [Releasing] Qt 5.0 alpha released

On quinta-feira, 5 de abril de 2012 16.38.41, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 10:54:56AM -0300, ext Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On quinta-feira, 5 de abril de 2012 13.49.40, marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Those were local in Simo's machine due to some cherry-picking of not yet
> > > landed changed. I wanted to tag with reviewed an landed changes though
> >
> > Please upload the exact SHA-1 from Simo's machine because those are in the
> > released package now.
> >
> > I recommend the procedure:
> >
> > per-module:
> > 1) git tag -a the *exact* SHA-1 that are found on Simo's machine
> >
> >    if the module does not follow Qt's versioning, tag it as
> >    "qt-v5.0.0-alpha1"
> >    retroactively setting the date too with GIT_COMMITTER_DATE
> >
> > 2) wait for the fixes to land
> > 3) git merge -s ours v5.0.0-alpha1
> > 4) push the merge, approve it, stage it
>
> or just admit the screwup, and silently upload a tar-ball with the
> corrected sha1s, for the sake of not uglifying the git history.

If you can land all the patches into Gerrit without any other patch in-
between, sure.

I'll buy anyone who can do that for all modules all their beers in Berlin.

Well be prepared with heavy wallet, while it might get expensive.

> and just for good measure, let simo repeat "i will not bypass CI again"
> about a thousand times.

Sure I can do this, if it makes someone feel any better. But I hope you will give some input while defining the release process practicalities, so that I don't have to do that again

Why? It sounds like this is exactly the proper releasing procedure. It's been
like that since forever.