[Development] Request for a minimal example for QTBUG 4447 (imaginary tablet in VMWare Fusion/Mac OS X)

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 22:20:09 CEST 2012

Dear developers,

I'm more or less a novice (hardly any experience with Qt programming).
I've been bitten by the following bug:
and have submitted a bug report to VMWare (I'm still within the time
period when I'm able to submit technical requests).

They are very responsive, helpful and answer very quickly, but the
person that is in contact with me most probably understands even less
of programming than I do. This is why I would like to submit a clear
minimal example to them which clearly demonstrates the problem.

I think that I need some hello-world application which responds to
some basic mouse events, but it should start from console or at least
be able to write debug information somewhere. In gnuplot I get lots
and lots of warnings:
    QCocoaView handleTabletEvent: This tablet device is unknown
(received no proximity event for it). Discarding event.
however if I create some purely graphical application hello.app, it
won't be able to see those warnings/errors unless I launch the IDE.

So my question is basically: is anyone kind enough to show me how to
prepare a hello-world application that does some basic mousing and
outputs debug log to some visible place without the need for IDE? The
same example could also be interesting for me (I could try to play
with qt sources around that warning to see which bits exactly spoil
the whole game.) (Of course it would be even better if anyone knows
how to write a simple cocoa application demonstrating exactly the same
problem that Qt is complaining about, but that is lower priority and
might not be necessary.)

If I'm in the wrong place / on the wrong mailing list, please let me
know where to turn. I should probably be able to figure out how to
write such a program by myself, but it would take me a lot more time
that I could possibly afford in trying to get this bug fixed.

Thank you very much,
    Mojca