[Development] Towards a Qt 5 beta: Documentation

lars.knoll at nokia.com lars.knoll at nokia.com
Thu Apr 12 20:56:55 CEST 2012

On 4/12/12 4:09 PM, "ext Olivier Goffart" <olivier at woboq.com> wrote:

>On Thursday 12 April 2012 15:35:45 André Somers wrote:
>> Op 12-4-2012 15:12, casper.vandonderen at nokia.com schreef:
>> > Modularizing the documentation is a process that will move a lot of
>>files
>> > around and make some things impossible.
>> > The biggest consequence will be that we will have the same dependency
>> > chain as when compiling the modules.
>> > E.g. not allow circular dependencies in the documentation. Therefore
>>there
>> > can be no links from the QtGui documentation to any class in
>>QtWidgets,
>> > from QtWidgets to QtGui will work, since Widgets depends on Gui.
>> > This will also automatically break "Inherited by:" between classes in
>> > separate modules in the documentation.
>>
>> While I understand the reasoning, I am not sure the limitations above
>> are acceptable. At least, if I understand you correctly.
>>
>> I think that loosing all the cross links and all the inherited-by links
>> that span modules is unaceptable. For instance, you would no longer be
>> able to see relations between some major classes, like QObject ->
>> QWidget. You'd only be able to see QWidget -> QObject. These kinds of
>> links are not something that does not happen. The QObject docs are a
>> good example of that, as they actually reference QWidget. Personally, I
>> also regulary use the Inherited by list. I would hate to see that go.
>>
>> I don't have a solution ready though.
>>

>I also don't like it. What is the benefit of doing that? what went wrong
>with
>make docs?
>
>Also, you seem to use the "Module" terminology to refer to library
>(QtCore,
>QtGui, ...) within qtbase.  But some other people may refer to "Module"
>for
>the repositoies (qtbase, qtdeclarative, qtscript, ...).
>This is a bit confusing, please clarify.

I think we've been trying to use this consistently since quite some time.
But to remind everybody:

* repositories is the stuff you store your source code in. They are not
visible to users of Qt, only to use that develop Qt.

* modules is the structure that is visible to the users of Qt. It's shared
libraries for C++ (and a 'QT += foo' statement in the pro file) and QML
modules (ie. a import statement in a QML file).

Let's stick to that terminology.

Cheers,
Lars