[Development] Towards a Qt 5 beta: Documentation

Sivan Greenberg sivan at omniqueue.com
Mon Apr 23 18:57:10 CEST 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 4:35 PM, André Somers <andre at familiesomers.nl> wrote:
> I think that loosing all the cross links and all the inherited-by links
> that span modules is unaceptable. For instance, you would no longer be
> able to see relations between some major classes, like QObject ->
> QWidget. You'd only be able to see QWidget -> QObject. These kinds of
> links are not something that does not happen. The QObject docs are a
> good example of that, as they actually reference QWidget. Personally, I
> also regulary use the Inherited by list. I would hate to see that go.

My personal opinion is that when you are reading about QObject it is
good to know that QWidgets all inherit from it, as noted (in
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/QObject.html) :

"All Qt widgets inherit QObject. The convenience function
isWidgetType() returns whether an object is actually a widget. It is
much faster than qobject_cast<QWidget *>(obj) or
obj->inherits("QWidget")."

But is not mandatory. My feeling is that it is more suitable at the
Widget docs, as it is necessary for completeness of the discussion.
And has sufficient address in this statement which is the actual
content.

This would also make it less bloated, as when you open the page you
get this enormous list of those who inherit and you want to learn just
about QObject. My assumption also is that a new user might be
overwhelmed by that.

Thoughts?

-Sivan