[Development] Towards a Qt 5 beta

Quim Gil quim.gil at nokia.com
Thu Apr 12 23:00:38 CEST 2012

On 04/11/2012 05:49 AM, ext lars.knoll at nokia.com wrote:
> To help with this I would like to nominate Casper Vandonderen as the
> maintainer for our documentation.

Great!

> Jason has been leading Qt (and Qtopia)
> releases a couple of times in the past within both Trolltech and Nokia. He
> will be helping us to get the release out with a focus esp. on quality.

Super!

I would like to coordinate better with both of you in order to have a
great beta release. I have already asked in the Documentation thread
about the deliverables expected for the beta. Getting a quality
assessment on the release materials themselves would be useful too.

The initial idea on the beta release notes is to "branch"
http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-5-Alpha , improve the current text and
highlight the novelties between alpha and beta in the first paragraphs
and a promoted "What's New" section.

I also think that most of the brain and flesh put in Lars' blog should
go the release materials themselves, becoming the center point and
reference URL for everybody. In the alpha there was a lot of overlap
between Lars' post and the release notes, and actually Lars' blog had
more details. The problem is, a blog post fades over time.

A side problem was that such blog post was hosted at labs.qt.nokia.com
got us many reviews starting with "Nokia's Qt Labs has released Qt 5.0
Alpha..."

--
Quim