[Development] Choosing a new MinGW for Qt/Qt Creator/Qt SDK

andy fillebrown andy.fillebrown at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 00:33:54 CEST 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM, André Pönitz
<andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 03:08:01PM -0400, andy fillebrown wrote:
>> [...]
>> GCC 4.6.2 and 4.7.0 from mingwbuilds do not have the slow startup
>> problem.  There are still two issues, though.
>
> I still don't think the gcc matters much in this case. gdb version
> certainly does.

Yes, I'm referencing the mingw distro using the gcc version number,
for brevity.  The gdb version is 7.4.

>> 1) Breakpoints have to be set before the project is run.  If they
>> aren't, i.e. a breakpoint is set after the project is started, gdb
>> never hits it.  It only hits the breakpoint if it's set before running
>> gdb.
>>
>> 2) When a breakpoint is hit, the call stack is only one call deep.
>> Trying to step out of the function at the top of the call stack (into
>> the calls marked "??") crashes gdb.
>>
>> This is on Windows 7 64 bit using QtCreator.
>
> What version of Creator? If it's not 2.5 beta, then can you please try
> with that? And can you please attach the debugger log (contents of the
> right pane of Windows->Views->Debugger Log, or send it to me in private
> mail? Thanks.
>
> Andre'

Here are some attachments from a run using Creator 2.5 beta.  The
project was built with the mingwbuild containing gcc 4.6.2 and gdb
7.4.  The .txt and .png suffixed with "call-stack" are the debugger
log and a screen-capture of the debug run just after a breakpoint is
hit.  The .txt and .png suffixed with
"error-message-from-stepping-out-of-function" are the debugger log and
a screen-capture of the debug run just after stepping out of the top
function in the call stack.

Cheers,
~ andy.f