[Development] The place of QML

d3fault d3faultdotxbe at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 09:14:53 CEST 2012

Yes, it is strongly biased due to the wording. Fix the wording and post it
anyways. The numbers will not change.

I got bored and drew a pretty picture to summarize my feelings for QML:
http://bayimg.com/jaooAAaDC
Hope you laugh.

But back to being serious. How can anybody in the QML camp argue against
this: Modern, Hardware Accelerated GUI Defining/Declaring/Creation does not
require QML/JS Interpreter/Virtual Machine.

It's like these genius' (QML/QtQuick is still brilliant) got so caught up
with what they were working on that they forgot the big picture: Hardware
Accelerated C++ GUI. Forcing the use of a declarative language, a JS
Interpreter, and a virtual machine just makes most of us want to stab
ourselves in the eye out of principle (our principles differ from yours).

To quote Lars,

> We want to make the usage of Javascript supported as well as C++ is
> supported. We are not making it the *superior* way or even the only way.

...except that the javascript way currently is the superior way. If you
want a hardware accelerated UI (without hacking together your own...
defeating the purpose of using a UI toolkit), you are forced to use
javascript (QML).

d3fault