[Development] Towards a Qt 5 beta: Documentation

lars.knoll at nokia.com lars.knoll at nokia.com
Tue Apr 24 10:17:55 CEST 2012

On 4/24/12 9:53 AM, "ext casper.vandonderen at nokia.com"
<casper.vandonderen at nokia.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I just cut out the rest of the email for clarity. (great that you would
>want to help)
>
>I just want to talk about the inherits and inherited by problem.
>"Inherits" should always work, because you compile the Qt code that way
>(you cannot subclass a class that doesn't exist yet).
>
>I just want to make clear that fixing the "Inherited by" problem without
>building all documentation in one go is not that easy.
>In theory it would be very easy: We would put the "inherited by" in a
>unique HTML element, for example: <p class="inheritedby">. That way we can
>open the file as a qdomdocument and replace that paragraph with a new
>list.
>
>We have said that documentation will get installed to QT_INSTALL_DOCS,
>which might be a folder which requires root write-access, in that case we
>would need to ask for the sudo password while qdoc is running to be able
>to re-write the "inherited by" list, which I think is also not feasible.

The other problem as to why this is difficult is optional add-ons. How do
you handle the case that someone adds another add-on. Do we want to show
these as well then?

I think the only way to solve this is to generate that list on the fly
when asked for, ie. do a reverse search through all the installed
documentation. the help module in creator could implement something like
this.

Cheers,
Lars