[Development] [Interest] Building 32-bit Qt 5 on Mac

morten.sorvig at nokia.com morten.sorvig at nokia.com
Wed Apr 25 14:40:16 CEST 2012

On Apr 25, 2012, at 2:02 PM, ext Michael Jackson wrote:

OS X 10.6 only requires an intel processor. OS X 10.7 requires a 64 bit intel processor.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP575?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

So if Qt 5 supports OS X 10.6 then Qt5 needs to be able to build in 32 bit mode.

Mike Jackson.

32-bit mode will be supported.

I took http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4949 to mean that 10.6 required a Core 2 Duo or better, which was a mistake.

This weakens the "no universal binary support" conclusion, but I still think it holds. In addition the decreasing 32-bit only install base we had the following reasons:
1) We want to simplify the configure and build system in anticipation of possibly moving away from qmake.
2) V8 does not appear to support universal builds.

- Morten