[Development] Qt Essentials

lars.knoll at nokia.com lars.knoll at nokia.com
Fri Aug 3 13:13:38 CEST 2012

On Aug 3, 2012, at 12:25 PM, ext John Layt <jlayt at kde.org> wrote:

> On 2 August 2012 13:26, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>> On quinta-feira, 2 de agosto de 2012 12.02.45, lars.knoll at nokia.com wrote:
>>>
>>> I intend to move both Qt 3D and Qt Location out of the essentials list and
>>> make them add-ons for now. They are fully usable as-is today, but with the
>>> situation down-under I am currently unsure how well we can maintain and
>>> develop them going forward. If things turn out well, we can still move them
>>> into the Essentials list in a 5.1 or 5.x release.
>>
>> For 3D and Location, I have a feeling it's a little premature, but I can't
>> blame you for it. Especially in Location's case, with lots of plugins to be
>> kept in working order, it might be tricky in the current situation.
>
> A few points I picked up from the QtLocation session at QtCS:
> * It depends on Qt3D, so if Qt3D is out so must QtLocation
> * It wasn't yet in feature freeze?
> * It only has QML support in 5.0, C++ support is planned for 5.1? I
> assumed this just meant the map widgets?
> * Nokia Maps might be interested in maintaining it
>

> With my KDE hat on, I'm not entirely sure QtLocation in it's current
> form meets our requirements, most of KDE only needs the data container
> metatypes or Position services so pulling in Qt3D and Maps and Places
> and Routing seems overkill.  We could probably live with it if
> QtLocation is in Essentials and installed everywhere, but as an add-on
> it would be nice if we could split them up and only depend on what we
> really need.

The main point for both location and 3D is that we give ourselves a bit more flexibility and freedom by having them as add-ons for now. When things become clearer and we have secured maintenance and ongoing development for these modules, we can always re-evaluate.

This change should not hurt anybody that is planning on using these modules. They won't disappear or stop working because of this ;-)

Cheers,
Lars