[Development] Qt Essentials

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Fri Aug 3 12:25:33 CEST 2012

On 2 August 2012 13:26, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> On quinta-feira, 2 de agosto de 2012 12.02.45, lars.knoll at nokia.com wrote:
>>
>> I intend to move both Qt 3D and Qt Location out of the essentials list and
>> make them add-ons for now. They are fully usable as-is today, but with the
>> situation down-under I am currently unsure how well we can maintain and
>> develop them going forward. If things turn out well, we can still move them
>> into the Essentials list in a 5.1 or 5.x release.
>
> For 3D and Location, I have a feeling it's a little premature, but I can't
> blame you for it. Especially in Location's case, with lots of plugins to be
> kept in working order, it might be tricky in the current situation.

A few points I picked up from the QtLocation session at QtCS:
* It depends on Qt3D, so if Qt3D is out so must QtLocation
* It wasn't yet in feature freeze?
* It only has QML support in 5.0, C++ support is planned for 5.1? I
assumed this just meant the map widgets?
* Nokia Maps might be interested in maintaining it

With my KDE hat on, I'm not entirely sure QtLocation in it's current
form meets our requirements, most of KDE only needs the data container
metatypes or Position services so pulling in Qt3D and Maps and Places
and Routing seems overkill.  We could probably live with it if
QtLocation is in Essentials and installed everywhere, but as an add-on
it would be nice if we could split them up and only depend on what we
really need.

John.