[Development] Qt 5 beta

BRM bm_witness at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 31 19:54:32 CEST 2012

> From: "marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com" <marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com>

> Subject: Re: [Development] Qt 5 beta
> On 31/08/2012 07:29, ext Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Remember that 7z was fairly unknown at one point too, but has caught on
> due to its extremely powerful compression, and is now well known and
> accessible anywhere. I'd say it's becoming defacto standard that people
> install 7zip instead of WinZip on Windows these days.
> It's certainly the first thing I install on a fresh Windows installation.

I usually put it on installs too; but not b/c of it's powerful compression.
I think 7zip really caught on b/c it supported numerous formats - all the well used ones for the open source folks (bzip2, gzip, lzma, ar, etc) and those popular but generally proprietary ones (zip and rar), and on top of it all ran on multiple platforms. So they had a usefulness beyond their primary compression format (7z).

Add to it WinZip tightening up their demo licenses (which people historically ignored the 30 days limit on), and you have (in the US at least) a situation prime for a new player that 7zip filled nicely; and since they're open source it was an easy sell.

Ben