[Development] Qt 5 beta

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Fri Aug 31 20:11:47 CEST 2012

> > First: no, that is not true. We will store the upstream tarball as bz2 on
> > the Community OBS anyway due to the debian tools and technology on the
> > community OBS what we have.
>
> It's your choice to unpack and repack.

It is our choice, and many others' choice. It would be in my opinion a way
approach (especially if there are no space constraints) to solve this
centrally in one place than at many clients'.

> > Second: premature disk space optimization is not a problem for us, but
> the
> > RAM usage is. The small size has a price.
>
> gzip has a smaller memory footprint than them all.

That does not mean bz2 does not have smaller than xz. Our and many others'
optimal solution is bz2 technology, maintainance, size and memory footprint
wise.

> > Thirdly: The conversion is very slow in scratchbox which the developers
> use
> > locally and also on the build server.
>
> Don't convert then. Use the .gz file.

I would not need to convert with bz2 either.

> > Moreover, we have an open process for discussing development related
> issues
> > on the development mailing list, and I would personally propose to have
> > that for the release process as well.
>
> We have that. But this was a minor issue. I certainly did not expect it to
> become this major a sore point.

It is a "major" point to discuss an interface change, especially if that
interface is used by many clients and they have to deal with. It is not an
internal refactoring that does not effect the clients.

> > I am sorry, but I cannot (and do not wish) hang around IRC all the day
> > along, and filter for gerrit is suboptimal for community discussions. You
> > could say the same for the development related topic, you just need to
> > follow Gerrit, but this is not how the community decided back then about
> > that process. I like the community decision about this very much, and I
> > would like to see the same happening about the releases.
>
> If you don't read all the IRC channels and follow all changes in Gerrit and
> read all mailing lists, you WILL miss stuff. There's no way around that.

Please always try to bring up the topics in the future to the relevant
mailing list when you intend to change the client interface.

Laszlo