[Development] Branching 5.0

BRM bm_witness at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 1 06:02:34 CET 2012

I would be to differ there.

As Thiago pointed out, release implies stable but stable does not imply release,
and that holds true for the vast majority of software.

To draw from Version Control systems such as Subversion, one very common
practice is for trunk to be "prestine" - stable, compilable, and ready for release at any time -
and all work to be done in branches. It is not released, but it is at all times stable.

Now if you only talk to the user-lists of many open source projects, then you will probably get
that view that they are interchangeable. Talk to the developer lists, and you'll see the difference.

Ben