[Development] Branching 5.0

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Sat Dec 1 11:24:27 CET 2012

He said:
> "A release is implicitly stable, so the converse usually also holds
> true: stable is released."

That is not the only thing why stable is confusing to me (and perhaps for
certain other people).

> He says that the converse usually holds true. First of all, converses
> usually
> do not hold true. Conditions that are both necessary and sufficient are the
> exception, not the rule. Second, it does not hold in this case either.
>
> A release is implicitly stable, or we would not have released. And
> everything
> we stabilise, we want to release. But note the time component: there are
> "stable" things we want to release but have not yet released.
>
> I think the name fits just fine.

I still disagree about the name. About the dev branch:

"Forms the basis of what will become 5.1. New features are ok to push
there, as long as they are complete, tested and documented.

Please note that although the branch is called dev, larger new features
(such as the new ports) should not be developed in this branch. Please use
a special development branch for this and push the feature to dev once it's
done.

Only binary compatible changes are allowed into this branch."

This means stable in my book, means: all the branches are stable in my
book, not just one. Let us agree to disagree and move on as others also
pointed out. I am not 100% happy with the name as Simon, but like I said: I
cannot come up with a better name, so I am in no position to criticize it.
:-)

Laszlo