[Development] [Releasing] Bumping Qt 4 version to 4.8.5

Qi Liang Liang.Qi at digia.com
Tue Dec 4 19:54:09 CET 2012

It's not difficult to understand. For example, 4.8.4 was released, it means v4.8.4 was taged. All later changes after that in 4.8 branch don't belong to 4.8.4. They must be part of next release of 4.8 branch, obviously it is 4.8.5. So the version bumps to 4.8.5 should happen just after 4.8.4 released.

And 4.8.4 is released, it must be stable enough for many platforms which current CI has covered. You could branch a 4.8.4-BB from 4.8.4, for example. Maybe it just missed some fixes which BB10 need, you guys still could commit them into 4.8 branch to get them passed in CI, it means they are tested for other platforms. Then you can cherry pick them into 4.8.4-BB and test on device, until you are satisfied about 4.8.4-BB to release.

That's my understand.

BTW, Sorry for top reply, I am still using the ugly web mail client.

From: development-bounces+liang.qi=digia.com at qt-project.org [development-bounces+liang.qi=digia.com at qt-project.org] on behalf of Vladimir Minenko [vminenko at rim.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 7:21 PM
To: releasing at qt-project.org; development at qt-project.org
Subject: Re: [Development] [Releasing] Bumping Qt 4 version to 4.8.5

> I agree with Ossi. Your request doesn't make sense, Vladimir.
> If you're taking the latest 4.8 branch instead of the released packages, you're
> in for a lot more trouble. I suggest creating your own branch based on
> 4.8.4 and cherry-picking any commits you need into it.

Ok... Well, I can also ask a good question why you bump the version to 4.8.5 before it is actually released. You probably will have a good answer, likewise I will also have a good answer why bumping the version disturbs our integration right now. But, all this does not help by the end of the day...

In short, 1) we cannot wait for official 4.8.x releases and work directly on the master, 2) we have no time for manual cherry-picking into an internal branch and decided to take all commits as long as a snapshot passes our testing.

As mentioned in my previous email, changing the version of Qt changes the version of the so libs, which we have to reflect while building device images. Sometimes, there is just no time for this, and an entire update of Qt in BlackBerry 10 is in danger to get stuck. We currently just cannot afford this!

Fine, we will just revert that commit if needed... Anyway, we had a chance to hear about this on-time. This is good. Previously, it was rather a surprise...



More information about the Development mailing list