[Development] Editing the FAQs at qt-project.org/faq

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Dec 5 20:37:27 CET 2012

On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 06:18:57PM +0100, Mitch Curtis wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 05, 2012 05:15:34 PM Giuseppe D'Angelo wrote:
> > On 5 December 2012 17:06, Mitch Curtis <mitch.curtis at digia.com>
> > wrote:
> > > How can I edit a FAQ at http://qt-project.org/faq? I have a devnet
> > > account, but apparently that doesn't help.
> >
> > You can't, unless you're an admin.
> >
> > That's one of the many things that hopefully are going to change
> > (cf.  what's going on on web@ mailing list), but for now you must
> > ask the admins to fix a FAQ for you.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >

> Ah.
>
> There is a thread about this on the forums [1], in which it was
> suggested that posters with a rank of "Mad Scientist" [2] (10837 or
> more posts, which is quite extreme in my opinion) should be able to
> edit FAQs, which I think is a great idea.

It would certainly a step forward, as it makes editing at least possible.

However, I don't think that having an FAQ with freely addible but
essentially non-removable answers (which seem to have a tendency to get at
least outdated, if not completely wrong, rather quickly) makes much sense
in general. So it might be worth to spend a thought or two on alternative
approaches. Like using the wiki.

I also don't think that establishing a system in parallel to the existing
Approver/Maintainers system is the best way to proceed. I actually doubt a
lot of maintainers want to become mad, scientifically or not, just to be
able to fix FAQ entries related to their field of work.

I could imagine having one or more additional "official" roles in the
"normal" system to take care of the non-code related tasks.  One such role
could be "Web Caretaker" with extra powers when it comes to web related
stuff. That state should of course _not_ be automatic, i.e. without human
approval, just because someone managed to add N comments to questions,
correct or not.

Andre'