[Development] Running Qt auto-tests offscreen

BRM bm_witness at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 7 17:20:20 CET 2012

> From: Jedrzej Nowacki <jedrzej.nowacki at digia.com>

>Subject: Re: [Development] Running Qt auto-tests offscreen
>On Friday 7. December 2012 16.55.41 Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> On sexta-feira, 7 de dezembro de 2012 11.04.27, Samuel Rødal wrote:
>> > In the end, maybe we could even use this for a subset of the tests in
>> > the CI system. In my opinion, with the current platform abstraction
>> > layer we have in place in QtGui, it's unnecessary for most of the
>> > widgets tests to actually test the entire windowing system stack.
>> > QWidget is now implemented on top of QWindow and QBackingStore in QtGui,
>> > so most of the testing of the platform plugins and windowing system
>> > integration instead of the actual Qt code should be done there.
>>
>> I agree in theory, provided that the tests that do stress out the
>> integration are close to complete testing. In practice, there's no way to
>> tell whether the testing is enough, so I'd rather we keep full testing,
>> whether redundant or not, unless we have a compelling reason not to.
>
>I think that "being able to run all tests on a desktop without focus issues" +
>"reducing test time execution from 8,5 to 2 minutes" = "a compelling reason".

Or is it better to keep both - while running the proposed as the main - it's at least a very good quick check, keeping the original set in case something needs to be tested in the actual environment.
In theory, the proposed test would work just as well as the actual environment, but we all know that there will be cases were only the actual environment will produce the error.

$0.02

Ben