[Development] Enumerations in QML

Alan Alpert 416365416c at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 04:47:35 CET 2012

People keep asking for enumerations in QML. See QTBUG-15483 and
QTBUG-14861, both assigned to old Nokia identities (so don't trust
that 'in progress' ;) ). Now I don't know when these issues will be
resolved, but there's an important discussion to have before it can
even be scheduled: What would proper enum support look like in QML?

QTBUG-15483 suggests 'property Bar::Weather weather: Bar.Sunny', for
using the C++ 'enum Weather { Raining, Sunny, Cloudy }'. But
QTBUG-14861 does not include a suggestion of what the QML syntax for
declaring an enum should be (just a suggestion for how we could hack
it in there). It's totally not obvious to me what a good QML API for
declaring enums would be, and that could have run-on effects on how
they're used in property declarations. All we know is that Bar.Sunny
is how you use the enum exposed from C++, and that will need to
continue to work with QML defined enums. Note that "property
Bar::Weather weather" is just a suggestion as well, I actually suspect
"property Bar.Weather weather" would fit in better (but it depends on
how you declare them).

What should enumeration declarations in QML look like?

--
Alan Alpert