[Development] Qml mime types

Mohamed Fawzi Fawzi.Mohamed at digia.com
Wed Dec 12 11:59:43 CET 2012

I think it could be useful to do a small recap on mime types, as that is what I am interested in, not extensions (ignore if it is obvious to you):
a mime type identifies a type of file, mime types are hierarchical, i.e. a mime type can be a subclass of another.
For example "text/plain; charset=utf-8" is a superclass to a lot of types.
If you don't know how to handle type x, but you know how to handle its superclass "text/plain; charset=utf-8" then you might handle the file like that.
When you get a file you will have to figure out its mime type.
That might come in a meta data, or be guessed from some "magic" content at the beginning of the file, but very often it is done through the file extension.
Still it is possible for a given mime type to have no, or several extensions (think the "text/plain; charset=utf-8" example).
Mime types are about how to handle the file in a meaningful way.

For an editor that can do syntax highlighting for QML, (the use case at the origin of this whole discussion), knowing that a file is some kind of QML is valuable, and I would argue also to decide what to do when trying to open it on linux for example. If it is a more specific type it knows how to handle it might do better, it might have default imports and search paths.

I would like to register some types now, later we can always extend them with new types.

As said I think that having a type for any file with QML syntax (.qbs and .qmltypes do use the qmlparser, but don't use qdeclarative) is valuable.
What remains to be seen is the type of the current qml files.

I propose the following hierarchy:

text/plain; charset=utf-8
   text/vnd.qt.qml-base : a file using the qml syntax in some context
     text/vnd.qt.qml : the current .qml files
     text/vnd.qt.qbs : a qbs file
     text/vnd.qt.qml-meta-info : qmltypes meta info
     text/vnd.qt.qml-project : a qmlproject file

later we might want to split
text/vnd.qt.qml in several subtypes (and probably own extensions) for example:
text/vnd.qt.qml-qtquick1
text/vnd.qt.qml-qtquick2
  text/vnd.qt.qml-qq2-partial
  text/vnd.qt.qml-qq2-full

but I think it is better to leave that for another time, we just have to make sure that we can accomodate them in a reasonable way if/when the need arises.

I did think about the +qml, but that did just look strange to me, so I skipped it, but I am willing to reconsider that if someone feels strongly about that.

Fawzi