[Development] Qml mime types

Alan Alpert 416365416c at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 22:18:05 CET 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 2:59 AM, Mohamed Fawzi <Fawzi.Mohamed at digia.com> wrote:
> I propose the following hierarchy:
>
> text/plain; charset=utf-8
>    text/vnd.qt.qml-base : a file using the qml syntax in some context
>      text/vnd.qt.qml : the current .qml files
>      text/vnd.qt.qbs : a qbs file
>      text/vnd.qt.qml-meta-info : qmltypes meta info
>      text/vnd.qt.qml-project : a qmlproject file
>
> later we might want to split
> text/vnd.qt.qml in several subtypes (and probably own extensions) for example:
> text/vnd.qt.qml-qtquick1
> text/vnd.qt.qml-qtquick2
>   text/vnd.qt.qml-qq2-partial
>   text/vnd.qt.qml-qq2-full
>
> but I think it is better to leave that for another time, we just have to make sure that we can accomodate them in a reasonable way if/when the need arises.

Sorry for my fixation on file extensions. The point about generic qml
not being the same as the current .qml files remains valid though. So
I'd recommend we make text/vnd.qt.qml be "a file written in the qml
language" and let the current .qml files be text/vnd.qt.qml-qtquick1
already (or just text/vnd.qt.qtml-qtquick and split it up later). The
current .qml files containing snippets of a QtQuick scene is a legacy
convention, and not how the language should be perceived going
forwards. (Note that .qml files containing snippets of a QtQuick scene
is a usecase that should always be supported, it's just that the
language is growing beyond that as the sole usecase for QML.)

--
Alan Alpert