[Development] Qt 5 packaging and binary renaming

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Wed Dec 12 17:28:59 CET 2012

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 17:08:54 Alberto Villa wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com>
wrote:
> > For anyone packaging Qt 5 and renaming the binaries moc, rcc, uic, etc,
> > please remember to also change the CMake config files using those to the
> > renamed binaries.
>
> Aren't we supposed to install them in $archdatadir/bin/ and then
> install the (yet to be released) wrapper (qtchooser) in bin/?

Thiago just said the same thing (but he dropped kde-packager... ) :

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.qt.devel/8622/focus=8628

My mail was a reaction to finding these packages:

 https://launchpad.net/~canonical-qt5-edgers/+archive/qt5-proper

and finding that they were installing broken cmake files as a result of
renaming the binaries and moving the mkspecs.

So please, whether you use the wrapper tool or not, please run the cmake unit
tests to ensure that you are not creating a broken situation for anyone using
your packages.

Thaigo, if that tool is a requirement for packagers, why is it not a release
blocker for Qt 5.0? What do you expect packagers to do?

Thanks,

--
Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com> | Software Engineer