[Development] Qt 5 packaging and binary renaming

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Dec 14 16:40:45 CET 2012

On sexta-feira, 14 de dezembro de 2012 15.27.23, Timo Jyrinki wrote:
> 2012/12/13 Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com>:
> >> I'd simply go for putting the binaries into a separate directory as
> >> discussed. The only side effect is that developers using Qt 5.0 will need
> >> to adjust their path to get qmake from Qt 5. Once the chooser is
> >> available
> >> that problem will solve itself.
> >
> > And if you set that path using the configure switch for it (-bindir?), the
> > CMake files should be generated with the correct paths already without
> > patching. That is why I ask how you set the location of the mkspec files -
> > If you use the configure switch there should be no problems and no patch
> > needed.

> -archdatadir "/usr/share/qt5" is in use, which successfully changed

-archdatadir should be /usr/lib$LIBSUFFIX/qt5.

-datadir should be /usr/share/qt5

> the target directory of the mkspecs files. So the binary renaming was
> done by manually patching .prf and .pro files (qtPrepareTool and
> TARGET), similar to current Qt4 in Debian, but mkspecs locations were
> handled by Qt itself via the configure switches.
>
> So next up would be using the bindir to install the binaries to a
> version specific libexec directory instead.

Binary renaming is not supported. If you rename binaries, then the qtchooser
tool will not help you. You're entirely on your own if you do that and, mind
you, the Qt documentation and all Qt support forums and channels will be
giving the wrong advice.

Therefore, do not rename.